A Long...Long...Long Trip to Bali

January 15th 2009
An Exhausted Journey from Yogya to Banyuwangi


My phone cell alarm rang at 4 AM. Then I pushed ‘snooze’ option for several times and finally I could get my eyes fully opened a half hour later. I took a bath then got dressed of jeans, a t-shirt and my long dog-printed white sweater. I started to move from my room rent into the Lempuyangan Train Station at around 5 AM by Taxi.

During the journey to Lempuyangan Train Station, I had a few chat with the driver. He asked me about my purpose going to the train station and excitedly, I told him that I would have a great trip with my friends from Bandung to Bali and Lombok. He told me that he had been an adventurer too when he was young and single. He told me that he ever went to Bali. He shared some information about Bali to me. He also gave some advices for me to do there. PFFFHHH… His story had succusfully encouraged me to set my feet down into Bali and Lombok as soon as possible.

I arrived at Lempuyangan Train Station around 5:30 AM. Immediately, I went to the ticket counter to buy 10 tickets of Sri Tanjung Economic Train Yogyakarta-Banyuwangi route. The tickets were for me and the group from Bandung  (Rahmi, Puji, Rendy, Bagus, Hadi, Ridlo, Aris, Wendi and Stanley). They would arrive from at Lempuyangan Train Station around 6 AM. While waiting for them, I bought small bread as my breakfast.

At 6 AM, the Kahuripan Economic Train from Bandung arrived at Lempuyangan Train Station. A few minutes later, I met Stella. First, I thought that she also became a member of Bali-Lombok half backpackers group. But I was wrong. She was with her KPA [Keluarga Paduan Angklung/]Angklung Assemble Club] friends. They would have a trip to Sempu and Mt. Bromo in Malang. Not long after that, I found my ground near the mushalla [praying room]. Almost all of hem were in dowdiness. One by one, they had facial washed and tooth brushed in toilet near the mushalla.
While waiting for the departure time of Sri Tanjung Economic Train, we took some photos under the Station plank and around the mushalla for the documentation. Then, all my friends had breakfast at the food stall near the mushalla. We also bought some food for the lunch.

Around7 Am; the train was stand by on its track on line number 2. Immediately, we got into one of coach of that train. Fortunately, we got comfortable enough seats. PFFFHHH… This would be a long… long… long… journey for us.

During the 14 hours journey, we killed the time by taking some photos, talking, gossiping and eating. There was a shocking accident; Rendy  lost his N-Gage coincidentally with his move to steep his feet down into Surabaya. Huff… I and the others just can suggest him to be patient and to believe that God would give him a better replacement. So for you who would take economic train as your transportation mode, you should always keep your eyes on at your belongings, especially the wallet, phone cell, or any another electronic things. While moving from your seat (to go to toilet, or to take a walk outside the coach,) it would be better for you to entrust your belongings to your friend or bring it in one small bag you always kept consciously.

Around 10:30 PM, we arrived at Banyuwangi Train Station. Hoaff… This day was so tiring day. Our bottom had been so hot and might not have fission anymore. Then, we continued our journey. We took a walk to reach Ketapang Port [around 500 m from the train station].  Only a few steps from the station, we visited a food stall in the roadside. Each of us bought a packet of fried chicken and rice for the late dinner in Ferry.
While on the move to take Ferry, we were offered to take a bus Ketapang-Ubung Denpasar that would come in an hour later. Without any excessive thinking, we agreed to take that bus. While waiting, we went back into the food stall we bought the food. Some of us opened the package and then ate there. Based on information I got from the food stall owner, It would be easier to take bus from Ketapang than from Gilimanuk.

There was a worrying thing among us; Ridlo didn’t bring his KTP [Kartu Tanda Penduduk/Identity Card] whereas there would be identity checking to enter Bali. For someone without KTP, no matter what the reason,  he/she wouldn't be allowed to enter Bali. Then the benevolent kenek [bus crew] gave a solution to solve that worrying thing. He asked Ridlo to pretend as a guy that learnt to be a junior kenek to him. And the pretence had been totally success. YIPPY!!!  So for you who would enter Bali via Gilimanuk Port, It’s a must for you to bring your KTP in order not to be deported

0 comments:

Post a Comment